CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 16, 2005

Separation Anxiety.


Sorry I haven't posted in a while. It's been very hectic, this new school year. It doesn't help that this coincides with Matt's busiest time either. His product, StuffIt just released another version. If you buy it, you'll find a small picture of Sam somewhere - I haven't seen it, but a picture of Sam at Dennis the Menace Park is on or in the box somewhere. I'll post it here when Matt gets back and gives me a copy.

Anyway, I'll cut to the title and let you all know that Sam has been having some real trouble lately. I read somewhere that the two hardest times in a persons development are the toddler and the teenage years. Apparently, they're both a lot alike, in that the person is at a point where they want to assert their independance but, have no real clue how to do it.

As most of you know, Thursday is the day I have to take both Sam and Henry to school because I have to be part of Henrys classroom. The first time we went, which was when I was most worried, couldn't have gone any smoother. Sam was perfect. Last week, I was pulled out of class about halfway through because he threw up. Turns out, he was catching a cold. I chalked his sadness up to the cold making him miserable. I found out yesterday that that wasn't true. I was called in again for throwing up. This time, he had thrown up, not once but 3 times . The daycare person, Renee, told me it looked like he was so upset that he was actually making himself throw up. I wish I could have acted surprised, but I wasn't. Sam has taken to this lately. He gets himself into such a tizzy that he actually makes himself throw up. I had him with me most of the class that day, which wasn't easy. I happened to be in charge of snack this week so, I was serving everything with one arm. Once he was with me, he was fine. I tried to put him back into daycare a couple timesbut, he wouldn't have it. He would cling onto me with dear life.

At the end of the day, the teacher, Odile, and I talked about it. There are several reasons this might have happened.


  • He is still getting over a cold.
  • His daddy isn't here. (His dad was the one who dropped him off the first time).
  • There is a younger baby in daycare now (There's a 10 month old there too now, ironcially named Sam) who is requiring the attention.
  • I'm leaving him in daycare in a hurry, which causes him to get scared and worry that I'm not coming back.
  • The first time was a total complete fluke.

Odile basically said that I have to make a decision and a plan on what to do. I can either find someone else to take Sam or we can work on getting him used to daycare at the school. I'm going to see what I can do. I'm still rather frustrated about all this. Matt is going to be away again next week so, I will be on my own again. I will either see if my sister can drop Sam off (maybe it's just the act of me leaving him that is scaring him) or I will try and get to the school really early and hang out with Sam in daycare longer before leaving him. If I do the second scenario, I have to make sure he knows I'll be back and that I won't be far behind.

I know he won't be this small for long and there are moments when he says things and does things that are so cute. Sam is such an individual. I do adore him. Lord knows there will be a day when he'll be the one leaving me and I'll know exactly how he feels...

0 comments: